Friday, March 19, 2010

Be Strong and of Good Courage




The weather can't seem to make up its mind....cold one day warm the next. It has been beautiful though, and it is usually great weather to walk around in.

We had a day of EPIC basketball with some college students. One of them was MinGyu (the nonmember son of Sister Hoh). Elder Moore and I schooled them all (even though I'm not very good) and we all had a great time. We were pretty tired the next day! haha It was a good release and bball is actually a great way to visit with students. I just hope they have at least some interest in learning about Christ.

We had some new attendees at our English Class this past week. Two new women came...they're math teachers. Also, an interesting young man met us last weekend. He's two years younger than us (so he calls us "big brother"...age is everything here) and is studying Military Science at an ROTC type college. He's very focused on his goals and doesn't even really want to get married. This also means that he doesn't have too much room for God in his busy life either....I'm hoping that's a phase. :) Interesting kid.

On PDay we went to a whale museum at this place that used to be a whaling town near Ulsan. It's called Jangsaengpo. It was interesting. One museum focused on whale life and ecology, and even had live dolphins in a tank! We saw them fight and butt heads underwater! The museum next to it was all about hunting, killing and processing whales for various products. Strange juxtaposition.

I guess this whaling town was active up until 1986ish when whaling was banned by the international community. Interesting, because the streets of Ulsan are still lined with "whale meat" restaurants. (I hear that the Japanese still do some whaling...somehow). Yep, I've eaten whale (that's right hippies!) The soup it was in wasn't very good but the meat, when cooked, tastes like beef. I hear that it is gross when raw (I believe it). Koreans also eat raw beef sometimes....I avoid it.

So the other night we had our weekly appointment with Sister Hoh and her family (including MinGyu bball kid). We ate dinner, played cards, and had a great time. They're a great family. :) Before we left, my companion shared Doctrine and Covenants 6:36 about turning to the Lord. This reminded me of another scripture, which I shared - Joshua 1:9:

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."

Before I left on the mission, Dad wrote this in the front of my scriptures. It's one of my favorite scriptures and I love the message of trusting in the Lord and not being afraid. Fear is the opposite of Faith.

This message motivates me to stop being fearful and just go to share the gospel with my brothers and sisters here in Korea. God was with the children of Israel then, and He is with us today!

Korea's a great place, God bless it!

Love,

Elder Bocchino

1 comment:

Helena said...

I've had seal flipper pie. (In Newfoundland.) Never ate whale.