Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mormons Made Simple

Sorry for not writing last week....it's been a little slow but also kind of busy at the same time.

Two weeks ago, I went on splits for a day with Elder Wells (he's my dongee and is now a ZL here in Ulsan). It was really fun and we shared lots of memories from the MTC. We tried to visit some less active church members and bring them banana bread that Elder Moore and I had made, but they weren't home. Then we visited a man who had randomly approached Elder Murray and I several months ago.

His name is Gyung-Jin and he came up to us one morning and asked if we were "Mormon missionaries". He spoke very good English. He said that he'd read the Book of Mormon and learned a lot about our church from an LDS friend 6 years ago while serving in the Korean military. He remembered a lot of stories from the Book of Mormon and expressed an interest in learning about it again. We kind of put him on the back burner for a few weeks while we got busy with transfers and other things...but luckily, Elder Wells and I were able to visit him. He runs a coffee shop in a busy part of our area. He was very happy to see us and gladly received the Book of Mormon that we gave him. His family was originally Baptist but has become disappointed with the Christian churches in Korea and currently doesn't attend church. He currently is kind of cynical about religion and is not sure what to believe. We shared some scriptures from the Book of Mormon with him, and he invited us to return and talk more. Elder Moore and I returned the other day, and had a great time! I guess that a famous Korean singer committed suicide the other day, so he asked questions about the afterlife. He was asking very in depth questions.....very interesting guy. It's interesting because for every question he asked, I could think of an answer in the Book of Mormon (of course there are similar answers in the Bible as well). That experience strengthened my testimony of the truth that the Book of Mormon answers the questions of our souls.

He told us how he's been pretty skeptical of religion these days, due to some troubling issues in his family over the past year or so. "Then, you guys showed up and started teaching about God" he said. "I think it might be a sign" he added.

Wow, no matter how he accepts the message we teach in the coming weeks, this experience has already strengthened my faith and assured me that the Lord loves us. He loves Gyung-Jin - the coffee shop owner, and He loves me. I know that there are people who are seeking for truth but know not where to find it. He's found it. I just hope he can realize it.

Gyung Jin spent some time studying in China and the U.S., and even spent some time in Portland, OR! (cool huh? we talked about Mt. Hood)

Final note, this site is pretty interesting: "http://mormonsmadesimple.com/". Good, simple explanations. The missionary video gives a good overview of what kind of program I'm in.

The Gospel is true! Love, Elder Bocchino

No comments: