Monday, February 16, 2009

LEAVING GWANGAN

Transfer calls came in on Friday night. I've been reassigned to an area called Sah-chon (Sachon). I live in a city called Sahm-chon-poh (Samchonpo). I love it. It's pretty small and interesting. Lots of rice paddies. A big switch from the big city area where I started my mission (the center of Pusan). I'm with the other Italian in our mission: Elder Naccarato. We're already known as the "Italians" or the "Italian team" in the mission. I'm pretty excited and I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this transfer (6 weeks). I'm excited to start working in a new area with new people.

This past week we went with "Dre" (Kim Jong Duk), our 89-year old friend, to his senior activities center where he introduced us to his "friends". Basically, he told them to listen to the American missionaries, believe Jesus, and go to heaven. It was the coolest and cutest thing I've seen yet. For a 90 year old man to travel around the city w/ six young missionaries and tell people to come unto Christ, it was pretty touching. We ate lunch with the seniors at the center and I was able to sit next to Dre. I'll never forget it. I hated saying good bye to him. When I announced in church that I was going to Samchonpo, he got a worried look on his face and said in english "too muchy far" (very far away). Then he told me to take care of my body, learn Korean, and come back sometime.

He is one of my most favorite people in this world probably. The "poor farmer" who lived in Japan for 11 years, fought in the war, met missionaries, received baptism, and wants his "spirit to go to heaven forever to live"......the Gwangan grandfather......the man, the myth, the legend: Dre.

(Elder Bocchino with Kim Jong Duk)

I'm now the 2nd counselor in the Sachon Branch (small, with @ 20+ members who come out to church). I'll be spending the coming week getting used to this area, which will be interesting. I'm expecting to hitchike a lot in this area, which should be fun.

The Church is true! Stay close to the Lord! Elder Bocchino

No comments: